orion re: Scrolls and inspiration

At 10:26 AM 12/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
>This is "Altman and Crowder" in the sense that some (I beleive it was Jim West)
>wondered aloud how the DSS were 'changing the Bible.'
>The fact that the NRSV used the DSS to add to Samuel is interesting and
could >be fractous.  This implies that the Bible is no longer a 'closed'
book in--that
>scholars can reasonably use the DSS (and other newly discovered texts?) to
add >to the MT.  Give the attitude of some--that the Bible is divinely
inspired and >the'inerrant and ineffable word of God'--there could be some
serious >ramifications within organized religion as the Bible becomes a
'living >document' and begins to change--once again.

It may be true to say that the text of the Bible may at points be challenged
by some of the DSS- but these are text critical questions.  It seems to me a
different thing to hunker down into a "conspiracy mode" and claim that
scholars have hidden things which will "change the Bible".  This is the same
notion presented years ago which claimed that the Vatican was hiding scrolls
because Christianity would be irreparably damaged by their disclosure.  The
only accurate response to such nonsense is to call it what it is- stupidity.
Such junk is written only to self tabloid like books.

Regarding the question of inspiration and the Scrolls- now there's a topic!
Briefly put, the dogma of infallibility was first set forth by the council
of Trent in response to the Protestant (mal)treatment of the canon and
abandonment of the Deuterocanonicals.  So no Protestant should have anything
to complain about if the canon is changed again!

Jim

Jim West

jwest@highland.net