RE: orion Newsday piece

As the publisher of Lucas "Ancient Egyptian Materials and
Industries" may I quote from page 362.

Pigments.

"The ink was in the form of small cakes of solid material,
resembling, except in shape, modern water-colours, and was
generally of two kinds, black and red, the latter being
used for the rubrication of headings, notes etc......"

"Garstang reports carbon and red ochre respectively for the
black and red colours on a palette of Middle Kingdom date."

"Laurie found the colours on an Egyptian palette dating
from about 400 B.C. to consist respectively of charcoal,
red ochre, gypsum, blue frit and yellow oxide of lead."

Etc. etc.

Q.E.D.

Ever

Mike