orion Carbon dating of the Scrolls

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 22:12:01 +0000 (GMT)
From: Marcus Wood <M.E.M.Wood@durham.ac.uk>
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
Subject: Carbon dating of the Scrolls

Fellow Orionites,

I am at the moment attempting to explore the carbon dating process with
reference to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I am trying to defend the process,
along with that of palaeography, against the claims of Eisenmann et al.
that the results are of no use to us, since they are so imprecise. I have
read up on the subject and have located the article where the results of
the 1990 carbon dating of the scrolls were published (Radiocarbon, vol.
34). I recall that there were more recent analyses of the ostraca (in
1993?), but am not sure whether texts were submitted for testing at the
same time. My question, then, is this: have there been any carbon datings
of scrolls since 1990, and if so which texts were tested, and where may
the results of this be found? I am aware of the controversial nature of
the carbon dating process and, not wishing for this to become part of the
wider Orion discussion, would appreciate any replies via private
communication.

Marcus Wood
Department of Theology
University of Durham