Re: orion Armchair Speculations

	Wasn't the "welcome" of that one post by Jim West a rejection of
its proposals (a rejection now accepted by J. West)?
	Is there reason to assume these calendars were the same? Is there
reason to think they differed?
	CD presents the appearance of the teacher of righteousness in the
past. According to the "speculation" below, D--or certain parts of D--would
have to have been composed at the earliest sometime after c. 10 BCE.  For a
variety of reasons, including relationships with other texts, paleographic
descriptions, and C14 dating, most scholars consider some of the Qumran
copies (and even moreso the composition) of D to be earlier than that. Not
all of these datings agree precisely, but, e.g.: Ada Yardeni dated 4Q266
to "from about the first half or the middle of the first century BCE" [DJD
XVIII p26]; a C14 test gave a 2-sigma range of 45 BCE-120 CE.  A C14
reading for 4Q267 gave a 2-sigma range of 194-45 BCE;  Yardeni called it
"early Herodian" [p.96].
	Joseph Baumgarten wrote (DJD XVIII, p. 6): "The 4Q manuscripts tend
to enhance the general reliability of the text extant in the Genizah
versions of CD."
	Though almost all agree that the 31 BCE earthquake caused damage at
Qumran,  the proposal that a long abandonment followed that has been
dismissed by M. Broshi, Y. Magen, J. Magness, Y. Meshorer, and others. If
the latter are correct, that date would appear to be a weak candidate for
the "age of wrath."
sincerely,
Stephen Goranson  goranson@duke.edu