Re: orion 2nd Century Flora & Fauna Query

Barry and others,

	This is quite off-topic but as palaeobotany and palaeozoology are such
specialized fields, I'm going to post this anyway.
	Re: palaeobotany.
	I have a copy of an article by Zohar Amar and Toni Friedman, "Milkweed:
Fibers to Fabric," _Shuttle, Spindle & Dyepot_ (Spring 1997) 43-45, which
discuses the cultivation and spinning of milkweed in antiquity as a form of
linen production. Zohar Amar is a teacher of Land and Israel studies at Bar
Ilan University and his own research deals with plants found in the Bible
and during the Roman and Byzantine periods. (Toni Friedman is an expert
spinner who lives on moshav Nir Etzion and was my spinning teacher at one
time.) I don't have Amar's e-mail address but perhaps one of our
subscribers at Bar Ilan knows how to reach him. Possibly a net search would
turn up something.

Avital Pinnick
list moderator
Orion