Re: orion 2nd Century Flora & Fauna Query

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

Judith Romney Wegner wrote:

>  Barry,
>
> The Society for the Preservation of Nature (a well known organization
> in
> Israel -- I think it's called *Xevrah le-haganat ha-teva`*) must
> surely
> have someone who knows about the topics you are pursuing.   They are
> the
> ones who administer the nature preserve around En-gedi.
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea of their address or e-mail. Maybe someone
> else
> on this list can give it to you?
>
> Judith Romney Wegner
> jrw@brown.edu
>

> >My current research involves the general area of the Judean
> wilderness
> >and particularly the western shore of the Dead Sea (say, En-Gedi to
> >Sedom)in the period of late 1st to mid 2nd centuries C.E.
> >Can anyone suggest a resource (person or organization) who might be
> >responsive to e-mail correspondence on either of these two subjects:
> >
> >(1) PaleoBotany.  Interested in the plant life of that area in that
> >time, including foragable plants and the Balsam (Commiphora)
> industry;
> >and,
> >(2) PaleoZoology (Mammalian). Interested in  specifically which
> species
> >of Bat(s) might have roosted in the caves of the wadis (such as Nahal
>
> >Hever).

    It has been at least 20 years ago that some of my friends were
active
in the Hai-Bar (as I recall the name) Society, dedicated to restoring
Biblical Fauna (many of which existed only in zoos) to the Holy Land.
At the time, I remember the surprising discovery of the rare En-Gedi
Leopard (captured on film in "trip-wire" cameras), thought to have
been extinct.

Jack

--
D’man dith laych idneh d’nishMA nishMA