Re: orion translation central?

A couple of comments:

Firstly, this must be connected to your claim that Jews nowdays are
inventing historical connections to Israel in order to justify their
claims to the land, which is something you previously sayd on this list.
The parallels between the two theories are just too obvious.

Secondly: only a very serious misunderstanding of the state of mind of
most Jews and Israelis could suggest that your theory will be perceived as
amusing.

And thirdly, on a purely scientific note: I do not think that two thousand
years ago the kind of things that OT establishes could be translated into
any meaningfull "legitimacy." What difference would it make to Greeks or
Romans whether Jews were, or were not, residents of the land at some point
in the past? They certainly did not beleive in nations' historical rights
to rule themelselves. On the other hand, they did not dispute the right
of Jews to live in their land as loyal subjects of the Roman empire. The
one criteria for rulers that did exist - that the ruler is just and wise,
that the country prospers under him - is not necessarily established by OT
stories.

The suggestion seems to me a very obvious case of retrojecting 20th
century concepts of legitimacy back to a century where they just do not
belong. ~2000 years ago the motive that you propose for the project of OT
could not have existed.

	Greetings, Asia Lerner