Re: orion Harrison on: Spoken DSS Hebrew.

to anyone,

First, thanks to Sigrid for the care in explaining the use of the modern
model for an ancient situation. I see that this could set some
parameters to begin with to ask, 'does the model apply?'

Now I have another question, to anyone, and I hope it is not taken the
wrong way. How much, if any, does an argument (if there is one) that
Greek was an widely used language including among the peasant class
relates to or is effected by the fact that the majority of the Christian
Writings are, as we have them, in Greek?

Also, if such a condition existed, that many people (or even a majority
of people) were familiar with Greek and Hellenism, is there a tendency
to view groups still using Hebrew as archaizing "hangers-on" while the
majority of people were "moving on"?

Of course, you see theological undertones here, perhaps in "new"
replacing "old"...

So, my last question: I believe that the majority of scholars are
sensitive to be being directed by existing theology or agendas, and work
on facts. But how hard is this, to ignore culture, upbringing, personal
religious conviction or affiliation, etc., to work from fact alone? (Is
it fully possible?)  I realize that this last question is not really
appropriate for the list, and I understand that it probably doesn't
deserve a response, and expect none. I will not pose such questions
normally, but curiousity is hard beast to tame.

Thanks,
Tim Phillips (archaizing, old hanger-on)