orion Harrison on: Spoken DSS Hebrew

A brief clarification.

I wrote:

What do you want to make of the Zenon Papyri? You find recorded a
journey of an official through subjected territories dealing mainly with
local people. How many Egyptian Greek officials does one meet during
that journey?

Was our traveller speaking Greek to the local people or speaking through
an interpreter? Given the lack of indications of local Greeks in Judea
gleaned from the Zenon Papyri, from whom can a local learn Greek? One
needs a speaker to learn from. A family of well-known wealth such as the
Tobiads could obviously afford to have a Greek tutor. One cannot however
use them as any indication of the general state of affairs in Judea.

Jay

John J. Hays
jhays@mail.com
I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto!