orion palaeo-Heb. for the divine name (fwd)

Forwarded Message:
From: Loren Stuckenbruck <dth0lts@venus.dur.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 15:04:14 PST
Subject: palaeo-Heb. for the divine name
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il

In the recently published (1996) DJD volume XXII, Collins and Flint have published
the 'pseudo-Danielic' mss. 4Q243-244 and 4Q245 which are in Aramaic. In the first of
these mss. (4Q243), one of the words is in palaeo-Heb. script: 'your God' (= 5 letters).
My query is (a)  whether there are any further extant instances in Aramaic texts in
which pal.-Heb. occurs (I know of none) and (b) whether this instance, which appends
a pronominal suffix (2nd pers. sg.) to Aramaic "'lh" for God, marks a departure for
using the pal.-Heb. for the divine name (=tetragrammaton) in the strict sense. Collins
and Flint note the pal.-Heb. but have not provided any further comments along the
above line of inquiry.

Many thanks in advance for any reflections/observations on the matter.

Loren Stuckenbruck

Dr. L.T. Stuckenbruck
Theology Department
University of Durham