Re: orion Code-words and Hanukkah

   I heard that the use of the "miracle" was an attempt to down play the
role of the Hasmonians, due to their later Hellenization. Due to such
the early Rabbinic authorities may have disliked the Maccabean position in
Hanukkah, and concentrated upon the resanctification of the Temple and the
revitalization of Judaism. How true this is is hard to say.
   The earliest mention of Hanukkah I can think of is in the NT, where
Jesus turned the tables over in the Temple. This was said to have been
the "Day of the rededication of the Temple" and has been interprited by
some to have been Hanukkah. The role of Hanukkah can be seen also in the
development of the appearence of the mennorah within Jewish iconography
as a symbol of Jewish nationalism, independance and identity. The use of
the mennorah in the iconography does steadily increase upon coins, walls
and so on into the Roman Period and later.
   Plus again we are placing a much higher meaning upon a day that was at
best a minor celebration that developed into a much more important
celebration due to its competition with Christmas. The development of
Christianity had a greater impact upon the development of Hanukkah, than
early Rabbinic Judaism. I also believe even the most religious of the
Jewish faith will agree with me on this point. Hanukkah was a very minor
celebration at first, if at all.

Harrison