Re: orion Genesis Apocryphon

>Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 21:18:54 -0500
>To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
>From: David Goldman <davic@pop.erols.com>
>Subject: Genesis Apocryphon
>
>I have suggested before that it would be interesting to make a detailed
>analysis of the Scrolls in relation to Talmudic and Midrashic sources.
>Well, since we are reading about Abraham during the last two weeks, I
>noticed that in the Genesis apocryphon there is a reference to the fact
>that Sarah lived with Pharoah, but that he could not have relations with
>her. Interestingly enough, Rashi brings this same point from Bereshit Rabah
>on verse 17!
Dear David,
Many people have done that approach, it's called comparative midrash.  Geza
Vermes, Renee Bloch and others were the earliest practitioners I know, but
I'm sure it didn't originate with them.  Many of Vermes' students have done
similar work.  There are also some Israelis.

For the Genesis Apocryphon in particular, you should look at the targumim,
especially Neofiti and Pseudo-Jonathan.  J.G. Kuiper (I think I have the
initials correct) did his dissertation on the question and published a
couple of articles.

Paul

Paul V. M. Flesher, Director
Religious Studies Program