Re: orion re: codes in the scrolls

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

Jim West wrote:

> Let me also add an addendum; simply because a word or phrase has no
> apparent
> reference to moderns does not mean that it had no well known reference
> the ancients.  Thus, though Kittim might be inexplicable to us does
> not mean
> that it was to them.  Therefore, when we speak of "code words" we are
> speaking anachronistically- and saying more about ourselves than them.

    I agree. You beat me to it (g).  I can think of several times in my
lifetime
when "code words" were used during time of war or political oppression
to refer to people (Bosch, Nazis, Nips, Vichy, Reds, Russkies, Commies,
Charlie, etc) or to personages (Fuhrer, Duce, Ike, Blood and Guts,
etc).  In
ancient times, a person's name held more significance than a mere method

of identification and the use of "The Man of the Lie" and the "Wicked
Priest"
could be a way of avoiding granting "immortality" to someone by way
of putting his name to paper...er..parchment.  "Kittim" seems to be a
word
resurrected from reference to the Greeks during the Seleucid period for
application to those other oppressors from beyong Cyprus, the Romans,
during Herodian times.  At this time, it is hard to see whether the
DSS people were referring to the earlier "Kittim" or to the "here we
go again" Kittim of Herodian times....or whether the texts span both
"sets"
of "Kittim" and a "here we go again" Wicked Priest and Moreh ha-Tseddik.

Jack

--
D^Òman dith laych idneh d^ÒnishMA nishMA
   Jack Kilmon (jpman@accesscomm.net)

 http://users.accesscomm.net/scriptorium