Re: orion Code Words in Scrolls??

-----Original Message-----
From: Orion List <msorion@mscc.huji.ac.il>
To: orion <orion@panda.mscc.huji.ac.il>
Date: Thursday, November 13, 1997 12:53 AM
Subject: orion Code Words in Scrolls??

>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:12:50 -0500
>From: David Goldman <davic@pop.erols.com>
>Subject: Code Words in Scrolls??
>

>It just dawned on me that since the scrolls refer to "The Liar" and "The
>Evil Priest" and "Dorshei Chalakot" and even "The Teacher of Righteousness"
>without naming them, but apparently consider these code words, that it is
>not at all inconceivable that the use of the term "Kittim" could indeed be
>a code word also. Any thoughts?

Kittim is in all likelihood a code word (for Romans in my opinion) rather
than referring to the literal Cypriots.  The use of code names, sobriquets,
etc. throughout the pesharim and other docs would seem to indicate that they
were composed during a period of political tension (invading or occupying
foreign troops, perhaps???) as there is an obvious effort to conceal
identitites of personalities and sects on all sides of the conflicts and
debates described in the scrolls.  Is this effort attributed to the basic
esoteric nature of the Yahad or can this line of thought be used to provide
a context for dating composition?

Best Regards,

Vernon Chadwick
Charlotte, NC