Re: orion Orion Mishnah as History

Paul,
  I agree with most of what you said, I realize that the Mishnah is at
best a problematic source historically due to its high level of
editing.But we are not dealing with one piece here another there, the area
of dispute is the corpus of the material. Josephus was just as edited as
the Mishnah, and so.
  You do seem to misunderstand some of my pionts, but since you seem to
agreed on the one piont that most ancient sources are very folklorized, as
that is what I was trying to say, we're OK on that issue.
  As far as the material being reformed, well so was Josephus's as well as
many other sources including the DSS. As far as what percentage of the
Mishnah has parallels in other historical texts, only a small portion of
the Mishnah is "historical".
  No you stated that you knew and published on the Mishnah in this post,
then why didn't you address the historiocity of the Avoth passage in
question, as opposed to dragging me into a debate in which we agree on 99
percent of your pionts.
  The Mishnah like many texts (Bible for one) is stratified, you have to
peal off its layers to find those few historical elements with in it. This
you know. But what started this big mess was that the Mishnah
fictionalized entire movements and institutions, this is unacceptable to
me. This is all I have to say, please if I mention Mishnah again, talk
about the verse that I used, not the corpus of the document.
  Thank You

Harrison