Re: orion Re: Response to Harrison

   Sorry to be too abusive, and I was not really trying to attack Phillip.
I can understand that certain events may not have happened just as they
were described. But I am not so much concerned here about a specific event
as so much as with an entire cultural phenomina and its institutions. The
original argument was not what really happened at the Sanhedrin, but
whether or not it existed as an institution and who lead it, when and how
and under what conditions. To conclude that the first Nasi of the
Sanhedrin never existed because you dislike the source in which he is
named is problematic.
  Now my view of Phil's ethnocentricity was not a
reflection of his cultural heritage, but of his scholastic approach as a
"revisionist". I was not attacking his faith but his scientific position.
I do not feel that a source should be thrown out simply because a modern
scientist distrusts the ancients who wrote it.  How can we come to
understand the ancient institutions of a given society if we distrust too
much to motivations of those who valued and tried to preserve them and
were part of that society. The ethnocentricity here is not Jew vs
Christian (though in part it is), but modern man vs his very subject
matter, ancient man. What is the point in studying ancient peoples with a
revisionist out look of it.
   What makes history is not what really happened in a scientific post
Enlighenment sence, but how and why people had preserved it, and how they
in turn reacted to it. We cannot conclude that since George Washington
never cut down that cherry tree, that he never existed, and hence was not
the first president of the USA. You see the illogical logic of this
statement as we have other sources and so on, but that is the logic that
some have embrassed in terms of certain records of our more ancient past.
   The Mishnah is a very valid source that should never be seen as total
fiction. Why do some see the Mishnah as fiction? Is it because we do not
value or do not have our own oral traditions, or that we have a low
reguard for the folkgeist that we hold such a view, then that view and
those like it is ethnocentric.

Mr. Bradley Harrison