orion Misreadings

This is addressed to the list in general and to Stephen Goranson in
particular,

On the topic of misreading postings:

1) READ CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU REPLY. Make sure you understand what the
writer is saying. This may sound elementary but careless replies waste
time when the original writer is forced to restate his or her position
again and again.

2) If possible, quote the original writer briefly, with >'s and "cut and
paste." When you paraphrase, there is a greater chance of misinterpreting the
original posting. Remember that the rest of us do not always have the benefit
of having the original message in front of us to check its accuracy.

There have been far too many complaints about misinterpreted postings
lately.

Avital Pinnick
list moderator
Orion