orion brief response to G. Doudna

Greg Doudna wrote on Nov. 2, among other sentences:
"This is caused by the inability of S. Goranson to understand or represent
others' arguments accurately."
	This is not fair.  If I did make mistakes,  I did not intend to. My
objections to his dating of the locus 2 "scroll jar" (which are similar to
the observations of Prof. Magness), and to his proposed circa 55 BCE scroll
deposit, and to other matters as well, are based on my understanding of
history and archaeology. It is possible that what he considers evidence of
a lack of understanding or misrepresentation arises, rather, from a
differing evaulation of the evidence than his. But I cannot comment at the
moment  on whether specific claimed misunderstandings and
misrepresentations arose in my mind or his and on who owes apologizes to
whom. In any case, I submit that his Nov. 2 post was not fair.
sincerely,
Stephen Goranson   goranson@duke.edu
P.S. I quoted one sentence from the second paragraph of that post. That
paragraph appears to include a request that I not "cite or quote" him, so
it has indeed been difficult for me to know how best to respond. I chose,
in this case, to respond briefly, rather than to review and reexplain my
objections to his dating proposals.