Re: orion: DSS pottery

To Fred Cryer,
If your post (below) was intended to respond to the expert report of Prof.
Magness, in my opinion you owe her an apology for words such as "amazingly
naive" and working "with a theory with only a few variables," and other
misrepresentations.  Prof. Magness provided reasonable observations and
bibliographic references. (Her mention of Bar-Nathan, I assume, refers to
the Hebrew University M.A. thesis of Rahel Bar-Natan; though I don't have a
copy, it dealt with relevant pottery and was based on extensive first-hand
archaeological experience. In the 1980s I spent many hours as an assistant
to Rahel, digging and reading pottery.) My reading of the evidence is
similar to that of Prof. Magness, but my knowledge of pottery and
archaeology is small compared to hers. So I asked if she would comment. I
am grateful that she did, and I hope other list members found her
well-informed message useful.
sincerely,
Stephen Goranson      goranson@duke.edu