Re: orion: DSS pottery

Dear Greg,
Yes there is little doubt, as you say, that dating this pottery at
Qumran would be very important, as it has been in the past **if**
only we could do that. The logic of your statement is impressive:
almost as much as your use of the subjunctive mood to express all the
things we could and might find out if only de Vaux's excavation were
as careful as the rhetoric he uses in his reports.  However, your
*if* clause finally does you in as -- given the lack of stratigraphic
digging at Qumran, we can not have the confidence often attributed to
this chronology.
Similarly, because Fred calls lamps "Herodian," we should not think
of the time of Herod for a dating of such pottery anymore than we
should think of Herodian scripts as belonging to some such period.
Herodian lamps have a chronological spread of at least a hundred
years. Nor was the form invented to celebrate his birth.
Thomas