Re: orion Re: DNA hide tests

Gentle Daniel--
Palimpsests, manuscripts on which scribes erased an earlier text and re-used
the vellum or parchment
for a new text, are especially well-known from medieval ecclesiastical
circles.  Certainly one of the more significant palimpsests is the Codex
Ephraemi Rescriptus [sadly, only about half of its leaves have survived].  Over
the original fifth-century New Testament text is written a number of the
12-century sermons of St. Ephrem.  Modern historians, who tend naturally to be
more interested in older materials, have employed infra-red and digital
enhancement techniques to recover the erased text, often with remarkable
results.  I seem to recall also that several significant palimpsests have been
found at St Catherine's on Mt Sinai.

--
Stay connected!

     --Bob

         "Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

      Bob Dietel, CLIP/MDHS
      dietelb@edmonds.wednet.edu
      voice 425.670.7311x5418; fax 425.670.7655
      home phone 425.339.0116
      6002--168th Street SW, Lynnwood, WA  98037-2799