Re: orion response to R. Gmirkin (long)

Re Hasifim, I am not sure whether I specifically posted a challenge to
Russel Gmyrken. But now that he has responded, I can only say that the
problem is whether 'Hasidim' as a distinct group is the invention of the
writer of 1 Maccabees. I really do not see how Enoch can be said to reflect
a group whose existence is itself problematic. That Hasidim may have been a
term coined for those rallying to the banner of 'ancetrsal Judaism'
(whatever that was) is not improbable, but to make these into a distinct
group needs some conrete evidence beyond 1 Macc. One can make similar
arguments, IMO for a distinct group called "sinners" if one uses similar
evidence and logic.

But let us agree to differ. No-one has any fresh evidence, only opinions.
There is already too much theory chasing too little data on this list.

Philip R Davies
Department of Biblical Studies
University of Sheffield