orion S.G.'s outrageous statement

At 10:26 AM 10/22/97 -0400, S.G. wrote:

>Stephen Goranson  goranson@duke.edu

>P.S. Some on orion find the reality of the Essene relationship to the
>Qumran texts and site inconvenient for their purposes and have asked for
>silence on the subject. Shelfing the Essenes, or relocating them, or
>redating them out of the way of one's preferred view of history, may or may
>not persuade some on orion, but it hardly speaks for the vitality,
>integrity, and coherence of the intellectual positions of those who resort
>to such strategies.

OUTRAGEOUS!  The basic premise of any discussion is that the combatants
refrain from denigrating the intellectual or scholarly abilities of others.

S.G. has suggested here, (again) that those who disagree with him are
intellectually dishonest at worse and incompetent at best.  I protest!

Jim West

Adjunct Professor of Bible,
Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net