orion Orion-Essene Debate

From: "Vernon Chadwick" <chadwick3@email.msn.com>
To: <orion@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: Orion- Essene Debate
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 16:22:48 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Goranson <goranson@duke.edu>
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il <orion@mscc.huji.ac.il>
Cc: goranson@duke.edu <goranson@duke.edu>
Date: Tuesday, October 21, 1997 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: orion Orion DNA tests

>Dear Jim West,
>The invitation by you and others for silence concerning Essenes
>is, IMO, not useful for the discussion.  It is useful to hear different
>views;

I would heartily agree with this.  I, for one have enjoyed the passionate
debate over this and other Orion topics and appreciate the input from the
many scholars that participate regularly.  As far as the debate about Essene
composition/preservation is concerned I do have a question that I hope will
generate a response.  The similarities in the initiation processes described
in CD and in Josephus' rendering of the Essenes have always, in my opinion
weighed strongly in favor of Essene composition of the scrolls.  Although
one must acknowledge that there are some differences as well, my question is
whether or not there is any evidence of a similar intiation process required
for any of ther other 'schools' (Sadducees, Pharisees, other) of the period
or if the intitiation process in itself may have been unique to the Essenes.
Thanks for your consideration.

Vernon Chadwick
Charlotte, NC