Re: orion Kittim, follow-up

Kittim (Kaf-tav-yod-mem) show up in Genesis 10:4 as descendents of Yavan
(=Greece)and in Numbers 24:24 where they are at the end of Balaam's
prophecy, the one in which he says he will explain the "end of days"
(Numbers 24:14).  Thus, as this is the last of the "peoples" mentioned, the
fact that they are on the scene means that the Messiah could plausibly
appear.  As it happens, the reason that "Balaam"  refers to a Greek invasion
is that Leviticus and Numbers, the so-called P material, are not
incorporated into the canon of the Jerusalem Temple, the emergent Torah,
before the 4th century BCE.  The author of Nehemiah 9 (describing events in
ca 405BCE is still unaware that Tishrei 10[or 9-10] is supposed to be a fast
day just as is the author of I Kings 8 is unaware of the fact.  Hence,
Balaam's prophecy could still be "updated" in that century.Therefore,
Numbers 24:24 would seem to be a reference to Alexander's conquests toward
the end of the 44\th century).

In any case, I Maccabbees (written before the Roman conquest of Palestine
and by people who were Roman allies) uses the term "Kittim" to describe the
Greeks.  Once the Romans took over, they had to be the Kittim, the last of
the peoples, hence Onqelos and the other Targums (as well as the Vulgate!)
read Italians or Romans.  It might be added that for Jews living under
Muslim rule in the Middle Ages,    all this created a problem since they
were aware of a post-Roman Empire.

                                                         Steve Oren
                                                         Chicago< IL