orion Several questions

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 10:26:31 -0400
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
From: David Goldman <davic@pop.erols.com>
Subject: Several Questions

I have several questions that perhaps someone could answer.
1) I have noticed in the Scrolls that one document conceives the Sons of
Light as a select group among the Jews, while another conceives them as the
entire Jewish people. Any comments?

2) I noticed that the Pesharim, Community Rule and Damascus Documents seem
to all be written by the same group, since they refer to the Teacher. The
War Scroll doesn't mention the teacher, and would appear to be written by
another group, though they do mention the Kittim, which may have been a
generic concept among Jews for the Romans. Any comments?

3) Jewish tradition speaks often of lost writings and books. I am wondering
whether some of the other scrolls which do not evince sectarian beliefs may
have been from those lost writings referred to in the Talmud and elsewhere.
Any comments?

4) I am interested to know whether anyone has ever compared the content of
these scrolls with midrashic teachings, to ascertain a commonality of
origin. Any comments?

I look forward to all comments on my questions. Thank you.