Re: orion dates, method, invitation

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

We seem to agree again, Russell. A Roman poet named, I think, Libanius,
once challenged Horace to see how much poetry he could churn out while
standing on one foot. I see that exercise as equally gratuitous as the
churning out of specific and highly detailed historical scenarios in the
absence of narrative sources that supply that detail. The only limit on the
historianīs ability to produce such scenarios is his imagination.
Ernst-Axel Knauf used to tell his students at Heidelberg that if they would
give him a case of beer, he could sketch out three different histories of
Israel before he had drunk it all...

Fred Cryer