orion Radiocarbon dating

Dear orioners:
Rather than respond in detail to Sigrid Peterson's lengthy comments
on radiocarbon, I will make a brief observation and then offer some
resources which may be useful.  (Two radiocarbon web site addresses
worth getting are at the bottom of this for those in a hurry.)

I don't know whether there has been a gap in my education, or the
synapses just aren't firing today, but I honestly cannot understand
what Sigrid is talking about in some of the post, the jargon and the
logic.  However what I do understand, in essence, is that there is an
objection to interpreting radiocarbon dates differently after the fact,
Now I can understand objections to my arguments on pPs(a).  I gave
it a "question mark", on radiocarbon grounds independent of my
dating theory, which I explained--the same evaluation I would give
that pPs radiocarbon date if I had no scrolls dating hypothesis at
all.  Then I made what seemed to me the logical step of
saying that a question mark is not a falsification.  Some may see
differently; that's fine.  But I was offering my explanation and
interpretation of the data, and trying to be clear and honest about
what I was doing.

But so far as I can tell, Sigrid isn't objecting to a particular
argument concerning my interpretation of pPs(a).  She is making a
method argument against any selective questioning, or weighting,
of data at all.  Now this is on its face absurd.  Real data is messy.
The data involves margins of error and scientists work hard to defeat the
sources of tiny errors that can throw a date off.  To say that a date
that comes out at one end has the same weight as a date that agrees
with well-established patterns is nonsense.  Its all data, yes, in
the sense that you want to find out why something unusual got
reported, because there could be something interesting there.  But
this is nct like biblical inerrancy where one has to believe all or
nothing.  Both the Atiqot reports on the Zurich and the Tucson
labs reported, then interpreted the data; in each case a real,
reported data item was questioned, and to most, rejected, because
it was out at one or the other end more than the others.  (So I
wonder why Sigrid is picking on me!)

To date an archaeological terminus assemblage (and the Qumran texts
are an analogy, in having some fixed latest date for all of the
texts--that is our assumption), some of the 14C dates are
going to spill over a little later than the actual date of the destruction
level.  One cannot simply take the latest single measured 14C date
and say, "you must accept this, or else".  All archaeological sites
would get misleadingly late dates from radiocarbon batteries by
this method.  You have to discount, or set aside, a few small
number of dates at one end to arrive at a realistic estimate for
the true date of the terminus.

But I do not wish to continue, and orion readers may cheer this
sentiment also  :-)   Many of these issues and questions will be
better understood by some resources which will explain this
fascinating, but sometimes paradoxical matter of radiocarbon
dating, as well as giving a better idea of what labs do and
what it is all about.

             The best (have your bookstore order a copy):
            Sheridan  Bowman, _Radiocarbon Dating_, British Museum, 1990,
            only 64 pp but is succinct, clear, accurate, and has it all.

            Also:
           M. J. Aitken, _Science-based Dating in
              Archaeology_, 1990

            R. E. Taylor, _Radiocarbon Dating_, 1987.

And two excellent web pages, both loaded with information:

           (New Zealand)
           http://www2.waikato.ac.nz/c14/webinfo

           (Oxford's famous radiocarbon lab)
           http://www.rlaha.ox.ac.uk