orion Variations

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:03:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stephen Goranson <goranson@Duke.edu>
Subject: Re: orion ORION: Variations

	Though dictation was evidently common, perhaps another exception
may be seen in some of Paul's letters: "I Paul write this with my own hand"
(Phmn 19; cf 1 Cor 16:21; Col 4:18: "...write this greeting..."); "See with
what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand" (Gal 6:11).
	Also, perhaps some religious hermit authors wrote for themselves.
People in prison, when they could, have sometimes written for themselves.
	Perhaps some of the pesharim are autographs.
	A scribe may not necessarily always hire another scribe, if not
legally required.
Stephen Goranson     goranson@duke.edu