Re: orion Authors who Write in Antiquity

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

With respect to my previous remarks on scribal practice, let me add that
Iīm by no means rejecting Rochelle Altmanīs suggestions. The ways scribes
have historically dealt with texts is, willy nilly, data, and provides a
ground of comparison which is a lot better than the often generous and
sometimes self-indulgent assumptions of OT scholars and Qumranologists as
to how the scribes behind our texts "must" have behaved. My caveat, though,
is an historical and sociological one.

Fred Cryer