Re: orion "Pure food" in 1QS

>in the volume recently published in honor of Joseph Baumgarten, edited by
>Garcia Martinez, Kampen and Bernstein, there is an article discussing the
>issue of how to translate "tohorat harabbim" by (if i remember correctly)
>F. Avemarie.
>
>moshe bernstein

Harabbim is presumably the general public.   My gut feeling is that it
means something like "the level of cultic purity generally observed by the
laity" (non-priests).   But does this mean there were basic accepted
standards, ratehr than a wide range in the level of observance?

Judith Romney Wegner
jrw@brown.edu