Re: orion Zealots

On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:57:14 -0500, jpman@accesscomm.net writes:
>Orionists:
>    In the continuing debates over who owned the DSS, Essenes, Sadducees,
>Pharisees.....has anyone ever posed that it could have been the Zealots?

   As you know of me, Jack, on another list, I have always viewed
   Paul's foray to Damascus, since it was out of Pilate's jurisdic-
   tion, to be chasing "zealots" in the other Damascus, Qumran.

>I seem to recall a reference, and I don't remember where, that the caves
>of the Dead Sea area were used by Jewish rebel groups during both the
>Jewish War and the bar Kochba revolts.  I have not seen anything on the
>archaeological reports of use of the caves after the caching of the
>scrolls.
>    The enigmatic Copper Scroll was situated separately from the rest
>of the material in Cave 3, from my understanding, and its closer
>similarity to Mishnaic Hebrew makes me wonder if it was not later.
>    I have also read some opinions that the putative Qumran group may
>have been part of the Masada group.

   My above view came from reading about that Masada puzzle, "The
   Jesus Scroll", seemingly a fraud but enough to make you realize
   just how radical those early Christians actually were.  And of
   course, you know my hypothesis of the use of the Nile Puffer Fish
   to escape an execution, so with many Zealots among the followers of
   Jesus, the above fraud became at least possible.

   It also makes sense when research showed that the Essenes were no
   nearer than that Gate in Jerusalem yet there were, as I have hear,
   some evidence of use of Qumran up to its Roman destruction.
   Christians don't like to look at those possibilities rising from
   what little evidence is there any more than the later Rabbinic
   authorities did over what was going on a century or so before.
   Without the debate on this list, I'd have never dumped my early
   Eisenman views of the settlement.

   May I point out that during the same time, scrolls were found other
   than at Qumran, expanding your mention of the copper Scroll.  In
   fact, where was the Temple Scroll found?

Tom Simms