Re: orion recent discussion

From: Jim West <jwest@Highland.Net>
Subject: Re: orion recent discussion

At 08:31 AM 9/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Orion Center wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that the topic of rabbinic law, handed down to Moses on
>> Sinai, is off-topic, where Orion is concerned. Questions which cannot be
>> resolved by academic methods and which are based on faith propositions
>> tend to produce ill feeling and waste a lot of time and bandwidth.
>>
>> Thank-you.
>>
>> Avital Pinnick
>> list moderator
>> Orion
>>
>	How is it off topic if a significant body of contemporary
>scholarship identifies this concept with the Pharisees and finds proof of
>the proposition in the phrase dorshei halaqot? The issue of Torah misinai
>is no less discussable by academic methods than the question of who lived
>at Qumran. Whether it's resolvable is another question--but so, on the
>present state of matters, are many other Qumran questions. But I take to
>heart your recommendation that I shut up and will happily join the range
>of other crackpots consigned to outer darkness. Marty Jaffee> >

Marty et al,

It seems to me that Avital's point is simply that Orion is a DSS forum- not
a forum akin to Ioudaios.  Further, I do not think that Avital is suggesting
that you, or anyone else, is a crackpot.  She is simply trying to keep the
list to its task- which I for one applaud.  Questions about rabbinics can
best be addressed to Ioudaios.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Director, Center for Biblical Studies