Re: orion Golb's article etc.

Having been lurking so far as this discussion is concerned, I only
have to say in reponse to some of the recent mail that assuming
something, even indicating it in public without wanting to discuss it
is a highly questionable point of standing. Some of the nastiness
here is of the kind which always follows iconoclasts, but if you
don't throw any stones but just sit down and repeat what the great
masters of the past may have uttered, what positive have you done
after all. Some members here should realise that scholarship has to
do with creating new knowledge more than to repeat old one. It is a
business of try and error.

Probably because scholar in English seems to carry before anything
else the notion of being a learned person, whereas the German
equivalent, Wissenschaft means to create knowledge.

The moderator should be very dilligent in filtering away any mail
with indications of political agendas open or hidden. The usual
hintof anti-semitism should never be allowed to pass without being
openly stated, so that me know what we are up against.

This because some of this mail has hurt people who deserve better.

NPL
Niels Peter Lemche
Dep. Biblical Studies
University of Copenhagen