Re: orion Response to N. Golb

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

Perhaps I should explain my remarks of last December. When I said that
"there is no particular reason to accept it", with reference to the yahad
reading, and stated that it is not out of the question, this was not the
same as saying there was or is any positive epigraphic reason to adopt the
reading in question. The ostracon makes perfectly good sense without
it--and in the first instance is to be read on its own terms, as one of
many ostraca found in Syria-Palestine, rather than as part of one or
another historical conjecture.

Fred Cryer

Frederick H. Cryer
Assoc. Prof. for Research