Re: orion Isaiah & Chinese

At 02:26 29/08/97 -0400, David Crowder wrote:
>  Goodness, I don't even know how to respond. Maybe we're reading different
>Bibles and church histories. But the divinity of Jesus Christ appears
>repeatedly in the gospels, Acts and the letters of the NT. It is proclaimed
>in the earliest canons of the church. I won't cite scriptures that everyone
>on this list is familiar with. It's not appropriate here anyway.

While the CE doctrines of Christianity are inappropriate in this forum, the
presumption that such doctrines trace from, and were inherent in, DSS-era
Judaism is central to understanding the DSS and begs the question of their
proper interpretation.  Oxford scholar James Parkes, among many other
historians, has demonstrated that the post-135 CE Church you refer to of the
extensively redacted and (antinomian) Romanized gospels, Acts and letters of
the NT and J~sus was quite opposite to the original ("pro-nomian") teachings
of Yehoshua and the Netzarim.  Eusebius noted that the Netzarim rejected the
literature you cite.  The NT scriptures you would cite say something quite
opposite to the original Yehoshua and Netzarim.  That is where the link
fails.    You're quite correct that we're reading different Bibles and
church histories.  And the resulting frames of reference are also the cause
of a lot of disagreement about the interpretation of the DSS and, I suspect,
one significant reason why we haven't seen many of the front line
archaeologists and scientists Judith mentioned, many of whom are Jewish,
participate in this forum.  That, and they're scientists who place logic
above frame of reference and may have asked themselves, particularly the
Jewish front liners, why they should submit themselves to the kind of
treatment that has long been typical of this forum (they certainly have no
fear of logic or me).  But that's just food for thought if it helps.  I'm
going back to lurk, hopefully without getting myself expelled.
Yirmiyahu Ben-David
Paqid 16, Qehilat Ha-Netzarim (Nazarene Jews)
www.netzarim.co.il
Ra'anana, Israel