orion Ori~n Posidonius and Agrippa on Essenes

At 14:36 26/08/97 -0400, Stephen Goranson wrote:
>Apology, maybe Horace, etc. Though I have gotten rather little feedback on
>this via orion, there is interest  from scholars in other quarters, and I
>hope to publish more on this. (There's a little on names in my

I'm interested, just haven't had anything to add.  The arguments have all
been presented reasonably logically.  Still seems most plausible to me from
what I've read that Essene may somehow be related to ayin - sin - yud - mem
sophit, "doers," deriving from their adoption of the term maaseh.  However,
I've forgotten whether Essene was rendered in Hebrew and, if so, with an
initial ayin or an aleph (certain or speculated)?  I'd think that the Hebrew
variant, osim, would be defensible?  Perhaps one of the Hebrew gurus would
summarize the merit -- or lack of merit -- of this being maybe an Aramaic
ending variant of the Hebrew?  Onkelos seems to use a different verb in the
couple of passages I looked at.  I think I remember this being discussed
before but I don't know if the intervening discussion has altered the
outlook on this aspect?
Yirmiyahu Ben-David
Paqid 16, Qehilat Ha-Netzarim (Nazarene Jews)
www.netzarim.co.il
Ra'anana, Israel