orion Isaiah scroll

 David Crowder wrote:

< Oh, and then there's Isaiah 7:11. Norman Golb was one of the scholars I
<spoke to in 1995 who freely translated it as, "Ask a sign of the mother of
<God ..." instead of Ahaz being told to "Ask a sign of the Lord your God."
<This would of course be a hard concept for a Jewish scribe to get around,
<especially since it appears immediatley before the often debated passage
<that many translate as referring to a virgin bearing a son.   When asked
<why 7:11 was not translated into modern Hebrew as it stands in the Isaiah
<scroll,  Dr. Golb said it was because it made no sense and was an obvious
<scribal error. "Mother" didn't even merit a footnote, and has never been
<mentioned by any mainline DSS scholar.  It might suggest, however, that
<someone tinkered with the original at some later time. This "scribal error"
<is not the only one of its kind in Isaiah.

Dear David,

Looking at the photograph of the scroll in my library, it seems to me that
a second hand changed the ayin into an aleph. Do you on the basis of this
and of the other things you mention ascribe a younger age to the scroll
than most others do? Are there any articles discussing your information?

Regards
Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo