orion ostraca

At 09:20 AM 8/17/97 -0400, you wrote:
>As noted in the IEJ article, this scribe wrote (at least) the he
>differently once (line 7, letter 2). So this scribe could plausibly write a
>het differently (in the next line, line 8). My daughter's name is Anna. I
>sometimes write the A in cursive and sometimes more like a printed A.
>(I'm not sure if this scribal point has been brought up on orion. If so, I
>apologize.)
>Stephen Goranson       goranson@duke.edu

It seems to me that the very surface and writing material used in Ostraca
would make it more difficult to have such orthographic changes, wouldn't it?
After all, writing on pottery with a stylus which is constantly having to be
dipped back into the Essene Inkwell (!!!!) would make a scribe more self
concious than a person using a ball point pen on paper.  There would be
little speed involved in writing and thus more care would be taken to
preserve similarity of letters.  Right?

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net