orion Archelaus/Palms/Medicine etc.

At 12:17 24/07/97 -0400, Dunnlaw@aol.com wrote:
>Pharises.  (Ant., Book XVII, Chapters II & III).  I assume that Judas, the
>son of Saripheus, and Matthias, the son of Margalothus, who Josephus
>describes as "the most eloquent men among the Jews, and the most celebrated
>interpreters of the Jewish laws" (Ant., Book XVII, Chapter VI) were also
>Pharisees, although I am not sure.  Herod later deprived Matthias of the high
>priesthood (and burnt his supporters alive), because he encouraged other to

Matthias being both a kohen and a Perushim would seem incongruous?

>take the large goldern eagle of Rome down off the temple.

"goldern eagle of Rome" ('gol dern eagle of Rome') -- love THAT typo.  (8-{)}

>After Herod's death, Archelus quickly left for Rome to try to secure his
>bequest wtih Caesar, but he did not leave before viciously putting down
>seditious activity at the temple led by persons lementing what Herod had done
>to Judas and Matthias.  I assume these supporters were Pharisees

Why wouldn't it be more likely they were Qumran Tzedoqim?  Or Zealots?  I
would have thought Perushim would have been the last candidates involved in
the inner workings of the Beyt Ha-Miqdash.
Yirmiyahu Ben-David
Paqid 16, Qehilat Ha-Netzarim (Nazarene Jews)
www.netzarim.co.il
Ra'anana, Israel