Re: orion Re: Source Diversity for DSS

At 12:12 PM 7/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dave andFellow listers:
>
>    I would like to discuss the possibility of source diversity for the
>various cave deposits.
>What archaeological evidence supports all of the deposits having been
>made in the same
>general time period by the same group?

What are the odds that they weren't?  Of all the caves, holes, and crevices
in Palestine, are we to believe that different groups, at different times,
happened to deposit materials of great similarity (considering the wide
spectrum of possible materials) in one geographical location???

>  Much of the texts may have been
>removed from
>some of the caves in antiquity, with texts considered "less relevant"
>left in the caves by
>those who retrieved them.

Did they read 'em in the caves and then decide which ones they wanted?

It seems virtually unreasonable to suppose anything other than that the
inhabitants of the ruins hid their libraries in the caves of the area as the
Roman legion approached Masada.

> Any thoughts on this?
>
>Jack Kilmon
>jpman@accesscomm.net

Jim
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology

jwest@highland.net