orion DSS-Era Jews On Oral Torah, Defining terms

At 08:57 20/07/97 -0700, Martin Jaffee wrote:
>The term torah shebe`al peh appears only in the Babylonian Talmud.... Marty
Jaffee>

You're right on the money.  Thanks.  Initially, I thought this was the
problem the others were having. It seems clear now, however, that this is
probably NOT the problem others are having.  Some apparently find Sussmann's
statement outside their frame of reference.  In any case, it is the first
step before I can address the problem they're having.  (BTW, what's "ST"?)

It's beginning to appear that we may have to "rewind" back to the terms for
"oral tradition of exesisi/learning/law in [Biblical] times," in written
Tan"kh, -- Xuqim umishpatim -- and may require "reverse playing" these terms
all the way back to their origins.  Since there are several hundred
citations attesting these terms, each likely requiring lengthy explanations
to almost certain challenges from those who, for religious reasons, don't
want to admit the existence of Torah sheBa'al Peh, it's a formidable thought.

It seems to me that the arguments against Torah sheBa'al Peh are about as
valid as arguing that "Oral Tradition" is a modern phrase, not even Hebrew,
and therefore did not exist in the DSS-era Jewish community.  It's right.
(And, therefore, Marty is wrong in using the phrase.  Everyone is shackled
so no one can refer to the concept.)  But it's also a bit pedantic and
diverts us from the substance of the question.  Torah sheBa'al Peh means,
and can therefore be used, anywhere we use "oral tradition," "Oral Law," or
"Oral Torah."  In that sense, it would make sense to accept it, rather than
go through the drill with Xuqim umishpatim, and move on, if that's
agreeable.  In the meantime I'll use Xuqim umishpatim until someone has a
better term.
Yirmiyahu Ben-David
Paqid 16, Qehilat Ha-Netzarim (Nazarene Jews)
www.netzarim.co.il
Ra'anana, Israel