orion Qumran inkwells

There is insufficient published evidence for absolute certainty,
but it is apparently the case that Hellenistic inkwells generally
lack handles and are not approximately cylindrical in shape.
Frequently, Roman inkwells--and some of the Qumran examples--
have handles and are cylindrical in shape.
Some relevant bibliography is in my previous orion posts
and in my publications, including "Inkwell" in _Sepphoris
in Galilee: Crosscurrents of Culture_ ed. R. Nagy et al.
(Raleigh: NC Museum of Art; distr. by Eisenbrauns, 1996)
	Stephen Goranson   goransons@uncwil.edu