Re: orion-DSS dating

<< Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 09:39:54 +0000
 From: Stephen Goranson <goransons@uncwil.edu>
 Subject: orion minim; Ib and II dating

Mr. Hutchesson continues to insist on a seventy or so year gap in Qumran
settlement, though very few Qumran mss are absolutly dated by internal
evidence. Again I invite him to read J. Magness (DSD 2, 1995, 58-65) and
other archaeological analyses and then to present the complete data.
Many of the Qumran loci were used for the same purposes in Ib and in II
which points to the same group using them after the fire.  Again, the
coin evidence, radiocarbon dating, pottery types and dates do not bear
out his claim. Pliny's source (Marcus V. Agrippa, I think [JJS 45, 1994,
295-98]) wrote about Qumran as inhabited during this proposed gap. I see
no point in long exchanges based on misinformation. (Yes Ezekiel is
about the temple. Was it then necessarily written in Jerusalem?)

Stephen Goranson   goransons@uncwil.edu

I would like to enhance the dating issue of DSS texts by inserting the issue
of the Copper Scroll.  Is it as some would have it, a fanciful wish list of
objects and mint, or is it indeed a list of temple treasure as others
suggest, or yet again a listing of personal property relinquished by members
of the Qumranites upon entry?  John Allegro's publication of this scroll
seems to suggest that it lists temple assets hidden at or about 70 CE.  This
scroll may provide further evidence as to the continued usage of the area of
Qumran up to this later date.

And a little information from our Orion Pals..
The latest insight into the Dead Sea Scrolls does not come from the caves
where the scrolls were found or the nearby ruins of Qumran where some are
presumed to have been written, but on a dusty trail between them. It was on
this trail that archeologists Magen Broshi and Hanan Eshel in February found
evidence that literally nailed down for them their refutation of revisionist
arguments denying the very existence of a Dead Sea sect in antiquity.

The finds included some 60 nails from sandals worn about 2,000 years ago as
well as coins and broken pots. These signs of substantial foot traffic
between the caves and the ruins of Qumran constitute the first direct
evidence, say the archeologists, supporting the theory that Qumran was a
monastery-like motherhouse serving members of a sect living in surrounding
caves. The archeologists reinforced this theory by uncovering three new caves
showing signs of habitation as well as a possible tent encampment. ....
Digging on behalf of Bar-Ilan University and the Israel Museum, the
excavators also uncovered a broad circle of stones which they believe had
secured a tent in antiquity. Coins and pottery were found here as well.

The trail leading from the monastery to the newly uncovered caves continued
northwest to the area of Caves 1, 2, 3 and 11 where the first Dead Sea
Scrolls were found. The trail lay on the existing surface but it had not been
attributed before to antiquity. "People might argue that this is a modern
trail," says Eshel, "but the coins are from the first century CE. And the
nails from the broken sandals are from then too. The pottery we have is
similar to what was found inside the monastery which has been dated to 31
BCE. We found coins as late as 67 CE. So I think this area was occupied
during this period of time. We believe that the people who lived here in
tents and caves were part of the community as de Vaux had said."

Just to add a little fuel to the dating debate I thought I'd throw this in,
it is timely, isn't it?

Shalom L'Kulam

Michael Abdon