Re: orion 4QMMT (c)

   The inscriptions were dated by FM Cross to around 250 BC at Arak
el-Emir. This is also supported by the lack of Persian Period remains
found at the site, not even a sherd. These caves were probably carved out
by Joseph Tobias, and the site was refered to by Zenon as
ZurBeitt...(damaged). Personaly I see the family as being Samaritan, that
is Jews who remained in Palestine and intermarried with the gentile
population after the Babylonian conquest. I suspect a dynastic marriage
that allowed them to obtain the Ammonitis with an Ammonite royal family.
But this is speculation. Certainly Tobiah the Ammonite and his son
"purified" their pedigree by marrying into powerful Jewish families.
Joseph Tobias's uncle was Onias II.
   Unfortunatly your source is very out of date. If you can read French
read the recent works of E. Will and F. Larche on Arak el-Emir and Paul
Lapp's excavation reports (English).
    Thanks anyway
But to keep things on topic I do believe that Maneleus was an aspect of
"The Wicked Priest" as I suspect this was simply a reference to all the
Hellenizing High Priests. And that Maneleus was one of the Tobiad
brothers, son of Joseph Tobias. I supported his relationship with the
Tobiad family in my paper through his brother Simeon, a "Benjamite" and
the "prostates".This non-Levite family obtained the high priesthood by
bribing the Seleucid King. This was recorded in Second Maccabees, and to
some extent Josephus. But Josephus seems to cover it up by saying that
Maneleus was a son of Onias.

Brad Harrison
KU Leuven