Re: orion 4QMMT (c)

>I seem to have come in in the middle of a conversation, but it seems that
you are right and that in the sequence Book of Moses, Prophets and David,
the third term refers to the Psalms as a synecdoche for the Writings.
Haran, in his new book on canon discusses such passages as indication that
the entire canon of the Hebrew Bible in its tripartite format existed
centuries before Yavneh.
Victor Hurowitz<

I don't see that this conclusion follows from the premises.  Collecting a
canon is a process that can take anywhere from decades to centuries.  Hence
a reference to "Psalms" does not have to be shorthand for the entire set of
what we now call Ketubim -- any more than the ref. to "the Law, Prophets and
other writings" (I can't recall whether this is found in the Apocrypha or the
NT, someone remind us!)  necessarily refers to the entire Ketubim as we now
have it.  On what basis can one make such a claim???  It seems to me that
one must point to specific, dateable sources  for each item of the Ketubim
separately before one can assert that any particular book dates from a
particular century.   Does Haran provide such evidence for each and every
book of the Ketubim?

Judith Romney Wegner