Revised info letter

Orion users,

I am sending out a revised version of the info letter which is sent
automatically to new subscribers. Please read and save.

Avital Pinnick
list moderator

is
supported by The Orion Fund Limited. The Director of the Center is
Prof. Michael E. Stone and the Associate Director is Dr. Esther Glickler
Chazon.

        This list is devoted to the scholarly discussion of the Dead Sea
Scrolls and related literature, including Jewish Literature and History
of
the Second Temple period and Archaeology. Since January 1996, it has
been
moderated by me, Avital Pinnick; if there are any questions or problems
which you wish to raise privately, please contact me at
msorion@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il. (Note that the general e-mail
address of the Orion Center is msdss@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il).

Avital Pinnick, Ph.D.
list moderator
Orion Center

**********

Directions for posting:

1. To post to the entire list, address your message to
orion@panda.mscc.huji.ac.il. If you are posting privately to an
individual, please
ensure that you are not sending to the Orion list simultaneously. Check
the address header carefully.

2. Please stay on topic. This list is for the scholarly interchange of
ideas and information relating to the Dead Sea Scrolls, although
interested laypersons are certainly welcome to participate and to raise
questions.

3. Please adopt a courteous tone of discourse.

4. Try to consolidate your messages.

5. Avoid "me, too" postings. If you wish to thank someone or merely to
second an opinion, it would be best to do so via private e-mail.

6. Please sign your postings with your name, not a screen name.
Geographical information and institutional affiliation are also highly
recommended.

7. Edit quoted messages. If you are quoting a previous message, please
use
only the relevant sections, rather than quoting the entire message.

8. Use precise subject headings. If the thread meanders onto another
topic, then by all means change the subject heading to reflect the
topic.
If you are addressing several topics in a single subject heading, they
may
be included as a multiple heading (e. g. "4QMMT; Teacher of
Righteousness;
Apocalyptic").

from the main list.

***********

ARCHIVES:

Past discussions on Orion are available as downloadable text files at an
FTP site.

Using your communications software or server, connect to:
        ftp unixware.mscc.huji.ac.il

        username: anonymous <enter>
        [password request]: <enter>
        cd orion_ftp <enter>
        cd archive <enter>

To view file list, type "dir" or "ls"
Files are named by year.month.day (e.g. Oct. 26, 1996 = 96.10.26)
To retrieve files, use "get" <filename> or "mget" <*.*>
The files tend to be around 60-70k in size.
To exit: quit.

Orion Center Web Page and Bibliography
        We have a Web page which describes the activities and facilities
of the Center. A regularly updated bibliography on the Dead Sea Scrolls
is
maintained at this site. Archives may also be read at this site.

         http://unixware.mscc.huji.ac.il/orion/~orion