Thoughts of Beliya`al

Dear Beliya`al fans,
In addition to the interpretations already noted you may take into
account beli-ya`al= without use, useless (good for anashim reqim
upohazim; beli-ya`al= may he not arise [from the  dead], I think that one
is attributable to N. H. Tur-Sinai; beiya`al as a form of bl` meaning to
swallow or extremely briefly, transient (I think I heard this from M.
Weinfeld in a lecture os his which I read last summer at the M. Held
Memorial seminar. Held in an article in the U. Cassuto 100th anniversary
dealt with words of transient, and swallwing was one of them, although I
don't think he made the connection with beliya`al). THe long and the
short of the matter is that every possible combination of the Hebrew
consonants has been tried, and if not everyone, we mayyet e xpect that
the remaining will be tried eventually, and that no one has yet come up
with a convincing explanation.  If I were to work on the problem (and I
don't think I will) I would star t with the bl` explanation of WEinfeld
and see whether in other Semitic languages such as Akkadian we find words
with a primary meaning of 'swallow' which have derived meanings aplicable
to the types of persons (not only men, since Hannah is afraid that Eli
will consider her a bat-beliya`al) so designated in BH.  As for the
present pronounciation as if there were two words, this may be a
secondary development of dividing a quadriliteral into two words, a
phenomenon well known from Rabbinic exegesis (cf. abrek=ab behokhmah rakh
beshanim).
Avigdor Hurowitz