Re: Calendar, MMT

On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:36:28 -0800  Moshe Shulman wrote:

Actually, I've lost track of who said what.  I think Ian wrote:

>>The key question is one of evidence: what is the evidence
>>that MMT is sectarian and not composed by priests in power
>>in Jerusalem?  So ends this heretical reading of MMT.
>>But is it so heretical?  Q and S say at one point:
>>    "MMT implies that the 'we' group regularly
>>    administered the Jerusalem temple" (p. 121)

I understood this quotation from Qimron to be phrased ambiguously and to
mean: "MMT implies that the 'we' group [*ONCE*] regularly administered
the Jerusalem Temple" which, of course, is so obvious as not to require
further explanation.  In not supplying an otherwise obviously needed
explanation I reasoned that this was Qimron's meaning.  Perhaps he and/
or Schiffman could clarify?

While I buy the date for MMT Qimron gives on the same page ("probably
between 159 - 152 BCE"), I still think CD is even earlier (Khonyo III, a
generation earlier), and, while a later dating for CD is more popular, I
think the later date for CD is suspended from speculation about the
identity of the Moreh Tzeddek.  Thus, I still see CD antedating MMT as
plausible.  Reasonable?

09:12:37 Y'rushalayim Time, 11/19/96
Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Paqiyd 16; Ra'anana, Israel
Q'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(Global Congregation of Nazarene Jews)

N'tzarim Virtual Community Center:
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim