RE: 68 CE

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:22:35 -0500 (EST)  Jim West wrote:
>That some of the documents use self designations such as "The community of
>the new covenant" (!) is what causes me to wonder about a Christian
occupation.

The b'riyt khadashah of Yirmiyahu Ha-Naviy was around for centuries before
the advent of the common era, before Christianity and the NT existed.  I
have covered this aspect in my paper "A Survey of Gentile Salvation in the
Covenants of Israel from Biblical Times: Geyrim vs. B'ney Noakh &
Replacement Theology" ($30; Schueller House, 2151-I Tulip Rd., San Jose, CA
95128).  "New Covenant," per se, cannot be assumed to refer to Christianity
anymore than Yirmiyahu Ha-Naviy was a Christian.  I'm not saying the idea
is impossible, just that we must require more definitive references to
Christianity in the DSS than merely this phrase to justify that idea.

This is in addition to the other considerations -- datings, paleography,
etc. -- that I'm sure others will raise more effectively than I can.

All the best,

08:13:10 Y'rushalayim Time, 11/13/96
Yirmiyahu Ben-David, Paqiyd 16; Ra'anana, Israel
Q'hiylat Ha-N'tzarim
(Global Congregation of Nazarene Jews)

N'tzarim Virtual Community Center:
www.netvision.net.il/~netzarim